SC07, RENO, NV – November 12, 2007 – Mellanox™ Technologies, Ltd. (NASDAQ: MLNX; TASE: MLNX), a leading supplier of semiconductor-based, server and storage interconnect products, today announced InfiniBand continues to be the fastest growing cluster interconnect according to the 30th edition of the TOP500 list of the world’s most powerful computers. 125 supercomputers (25 % of the list) are connected with InfiniBand, 52 % more than the 82 supercomputers reported on the November 2006 list. The total number of InfiniBand connected CPU cores on the list has grown from 137K in 2006 to 340K in 2007 (148 % yearly growth) which highlights the increasing demand for InfiniBand to maximize computing resources and performance.
“InfiniBand continues to be the only growing high-speed interconnect, and a natural choice for high performance clusters, with 52 % growth since November 2006, due to its world leading performance, efficiency and scalability characteristics that are demanded by multi-core servers and storage systems,” said Eyal Waldman, president, chairman and CEO of Mellanox Technologies. “Mellanox’s revenue growth during 2007 demonstrates continued strong demand in HPC for our InfiniBand interconnect products as well as our growth in enterprise data centers and embedded markets. With the availability of our 40Gb/s InfiniBand solutions expected in the latter part of 2008, Mellanox-based solutions are expected to continue to deliver the ever-increasing I/O performance needs of world leading research and educational centers and commercial data centers.”
Published twice a year and publicly available at Top500.org, the TOP500 list ranks the most powerful computer systems according to the Linpack benchmark rating system and is an industry respected report which indicates usage trends in computing and interconnect solutions.
Highlights of InfiniBand usage on the November 2007 TOP500 list include:
- 3 of the top 5 and 7 of the top 20 most prestigious positions utilize Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect products
- All InfiniBand-based clusters utilize Mellanox switch silicon and well over 95 % integrate adapters products based on Mellanox silicon
- InfiniBand is the only industry standard interconnect used in the top 50 (22 total supercomputers) – all based on Mellanox adapter cards and switch silicon
- InfiniBand is the most used high-speed (> 1Gb/s), low-latency interconnect and has the greatest increase in usage from 2006 to 2007 (now 25 % of the list)
- The number of InfiniBand-based supercomputers is more than four times the number of supercomputers using other high-speed interconnects combined (> 1 Gb/s)
- The average efficiency of all reported InfiniBand-based supercomputers is 70 % (significantly higher than 52 % for Gigabit Ethernet supercomputers) saving power, cooling, cost, floor space and total cost of ownership
- Usage of proprietary interconnect technologies has declined 70 % since November 2006 in favor of industry-standard InfiniBand
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect in the top 100 supercomputers with 38 clusters, 240 % higher than Gigabit Ethernet based clusters
- 40 % of the InfiniBand-based clusters take advantage of 20Gb/s performance signifying strong demand for the fastest available industry-standard I/O technology
- The entry-level for the TOP500 list is 5,9TFlops, 116 % higher than the 2,7TFlops necessary to be on the November 2006 list, indicating the explosive market demands for more efficient and scalable computing enabled by Mellanox’s interconnect products
- Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect products present in the TOP500 are used by a diverse list of applications, from large-scale high-performance computing to commercial technical computing and enterprise data centers
Mellanox Technologies is a leading supplier of semiconductor-based, high-performance, InfiniBand and Ethernet connectivity products that facilitate data transmission between servers, communications infrastructure equipment and storage systems. The company’s products are an integral part of a total solution focused on computing, storage and communication applications used in enterprise data centers, high-performance computing and embedded systems.
Founded in 1999, Mellanox Technologies is headquartered in Santa Clara, California and Yokneam, Israel. For more information, visit Mellanox at www.mellanox.com.
For more information: